MH17 plane crash: Kerry points finger at Russia

MH17 Plane Route

MH17 Plane Route

 

US Secretary of State John Kerry says there is overwhelming evidence of Russian complicity in the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane in Ukraine.

Mr Kerry called on Russia to take responsibility for the actions of the rebels, saying their handling of the dead had been “grotesque”.

All 298 people on flight MH17 died when it was reportedly hit by a missile.

Russia has been accused of providing the rebels with an anti-aircraft system that was allegedly used in the attack.

Earlier, the remains of up to 196 people were loaded on to refrigerated rail wagons in eastern Ukraine, to be taken to an unknown destination.

Australia’s Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has called on pro-Russian separatists not to use the bodies as pawns in their conflict with the Ukrainian authorities.

“There are 298 bodies on that site – their families, their loved ones want them home now,” she said.

 

Nearly 200 bodies have been moved from the crash site after three days of being left in the open

 

A freight train carrying the bodies is currently standing at Torez station 15km (nine miles) from the crash site

 

‘Site compromised’

The rebels say they will hand over MH17’s flight recorders to the International Civil Aviation Organization but the US state department said rebels had tampered with other potential evidence.

Heavy machinery could be seen moving plane debris around at the crash site on Sunday.

Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong-Lai, who arrived in Ukraine’s capital Kiev at the weekend, said he was “very concerned” that the crash site had been “severely compromised”.

A Malaysian team of 133 officials and experts, comprising of search and recovery personnel, forensics experts, technical and medical experts have also arrived in Ukraine.

But the government in Kiev says it has been unable to establish a safe corridor to the crash site for the group.

Fighting remains ongoing in eastern Ukraine between the separatist rebels and government forces in a conflict which erupted in April and is believed to have claimed more than 1,000 lives.

The passenger list released by Malaysia Airlines shows the plane was carrying 193 Dutch nationals, including one with dual US nationality.

Other victims included 43 Malaysians (including 15 crew), 27 Australians, 12 Indonesians, 10 Britons, four Germans, four Belgians, three from the Philippines, and one from both Canada and New Zealand.

Memorial services and vigils were held on Sunday in many countries, including Australia, Malaysia and the Netherlands.

Short URL: http://caribarena.com/?p=88

Posted by on Jul 21 2014. Filed under News, World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Log in | Designed by Caribarena Antigua and Barbuda